Office-Based Surgery Center – Getting Started
Getting off to a successful and timely start is not necessarily a linear path. Many OBS startup tasks are contingent upon other tasks and must be accomplished in a specific order to avoid unnecessary delays. The following list, however, does provide a basic outline for the steps involved in establishing an office-based surgery center.
- Perform feasibility analysis to determine market potential.
- Establish service lines appropriate for patient demographics.
- Oversee credentialing, licensure, transfer agreements and state inspection processes.
- Develop scalable workflow to sustain immediate and future growth.
- Provide EHR software and hardware recommendations.
- Identify diagnostic tests that support surgical services.
- Establish vascular screening program and anesthesia provider requirements.
- Implement compliance risk reduction and management programs.
- Identify staff hiring and training requirements and provide recruiting services.
- Establish vendor relationships to receive best value pricing on high-quality supplies and equipment.
- Establish billing and coding procedures that keep payment delays and risk exposure to a minimum.
- Establish ongoing quality improvement programs. Develop marketing program to attract new and existing patients.